The Church of St John the Evangelist is set back in it’s own award winning garden and small car park in West Avenue, Filey. It is not an eye catching church, the Victorian Architect C. Hodgson Fowler was regarded as ‘dependable but unexciting’ . St John’s opened in 1873, the site and stone was provided by Hunmanby ‘Lord of the Manor’ Admiral Mitford, who died in 1870 before the Church was complete, the East window is dedicated to him. Stone appears to have been sourced from Filey Brigg, where the Admiral retained his manorial rites of quarrying.
The church was what is known as a ‘chapel of ease’ and acted as an overflow for visitors to the Crescent. who preferred this nearby church to a walk to the Parish Church at St Oswald’s for communion before breakfast.
St John’s was also used by local people but in the late 60′s was closed. In the early 70′s a dividing wall was built right across the west side of the transepts and the west end of the church was turned into the Parish Hall with a small concert hall in an upstairs room. In 2011 the church was refurbished.
St Johns is presently open between 10am and noon Mondays to Saturdays, although this may be amended in future. There is a communion at 10am on Fridays. Services are currently on alternate Sundays – see the church notices or Filey Parish Blog for details.
Latest NewsSeptember 19th, 2014
Winter 2014/2015 Programme of Events All talks are at 7 pm in the conference room, Evron Centre, [...]June 2nd, 2013
Our volunteers had a brilliant day at Filey Food Festival Yesterday despite the dull and chilly weat[...]
Change text size