Filey Methodist Church, with its Spire is a central Filey landmark. It was built in 1876 for £5000 in the Gothic Style. At that time it was known as the Wesleyan chapel a different branch of Methodism to the Primitive tradition of Filey’s second chapel, Ebenezer, which was built just down the street. In 1918 the building suffered considerable damage from an extensive fire, it was reopened in 1923. In June 1931 the Chapel suffered earthquake damage and the top part of the spire was displaced.
In 1932, when the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist Connections were merged, the ‘Wesleyan Chapel’ was renamed ‘Trinity’ . Both Trinity and Ebenezer Methodist Churches continued side by side and significant differences between their congregations remained, with a more formal style of worship at ‘Trinity’ which included a robed choir. Ebenezer catered for Filey’s fishermen. By 1975 less than a handful of Fishing families continued to support Ebenezer and in 1975 the building was shut. The two congregations were merged very successfully. The name Trinity was dropped and the building was renamed Filey Methodist Church. Ebenezer was turned into a builders warehouse and shops for several years and was then converted into a block of flats.
In 2007 major refurbishment on Filey Methodist Church was completed, with disabled access, a modern kitchen, hall and Upstairs showers and simple accommodation. The church is known for an extensive season of Concerts and Social events. Details of forthcoming services and events can be found at the Filey Methodist Church Website.
Historical details have been extracted from the Filey Methodist Church Leaflet, copies of which are on display at the Church.
Latest NewsSeptember 19th, 2014
Winter 2014/2015 Programme of Events All talks are at 7 pm in the conference room, Evron Centre, [...]June 2nd, 2013
Our volunteers had a brilliant day at Filey Food Festival Yesterday despite the dull and chilly weat[...]
Change text size